The mission of the Design Engineer is to help deliver the documents that will allow our clients the insight
to build safe, affordable structures and to meet challenges with creative solutions.
This is a Full-Time, Exempt Position with Paid Overtime.
- Analyzes and designs steel, concrete, masonry, wood and cold-formed metal framing structures and components on an introductory level
- Applies standard techniques, procedures and criteria to perform assigned tasks as part of a broader assignment
- Works under the close direction of the Project Manager or experienced Project Engineer in preparing calculations and designs for specific elements or systems
- Supervised contact with external partners in the production of SMBH construction documents for simple projects or limited portions of more complicated projects, responsible for the accuracy and completeness of documents
- Provides design information to BIM Specialists, primarily in the form of architectural base drawings, clearly drawn hand sketches and mark-ups, written and verbal instructions
- Performs BIM Specialist work as required for small and/or last-minute revisions to drawings to meet the deadline
- Determines code requirements with support of PM
- Keeps PM and Group informed and updated regarding project developments, especially those affecting scope and schedule
- Takes direction on SMBH contract and proposals as they relate to scope
- Manages workload with PM input
- Responsive to the needs of clients and other SMBH team members via effective communications
- Acts in alignment with the SMBH Core Values
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering or Architectural Engineering with an emphasis in structural engineering from an ABET accredited institution or equivalent experience
- No experience/entry level
- Familiar with statics of structures
- Novice with design software: RAM Structural Systems, Revit and AutoCAD
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently and/or in a team environment; attention to detail; flexible and easily adapts to changing priorities
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone. Reaching, stooping, and kneeling may also be required to install computer equipment
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work
- Light to moderate lifting is required
Candidates only. Recruiters, please no phone calls or emails about this job.
SMBH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for their race, age, color, physical handicap or disability, military service record, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin.